1. Explain and interpret the notion of being in Parmenides. (Answer)
Explain the intellectual and social context of sophist thought. Discuss the significance of sophist method of enquiry and thought in general.
2. Write a critical essay on the concepts of one and good in the philosophy of Plotinus. (Answer)
Explain Augustine’s theory of knowledge of the world and God. How did Augustine position himself in the debate on the role of faith and reason? Discuss.
3. Answer any two of the following in about 200 words each.
a) Explain the notions of constant change and unity of opposites in Heraclitus. (Answer)
b) Discuss Plato’s notion of best state. Why did he criticize democracy? (Answer)
c) What were the natural and cultural conditions that assisted Greece in becoming the cradle of Western thought? Explain.
d) Discuss the atom theory of Democritus & Leucippus.
4. Answer any four of the following in about 150 words each.
a) Briefly discuss – “To be ethical is to live a rational life”. (Answer)
b) How is philosophy different from philosophising? (Answer)
c) Discuss the shift from ethics to metaphysics in ancient philosophy.
d) Explain the Pythagorean concept of soul. (Answer)
e) Briefly discuss Stoic ethics. (Answer)
f) Differentiate between knowledge and wisdom. (Answer)
5. Write short notes on any five of the following in about 100 words each.
a) Philosophy of Life (Answer)
b) Cynicism (Answer)
c) Etymological roots of aesthetics (Answer)
d) Dogmatism (Answer)
e) Agnosticism (Answer)
f) Freedom (Answer)
g) Socratic problem (Answer)
h) Ockham’s Razor (Answer)