Dhammapada Verse 5
idha verena verani kudacanam na hi sammanti
averena ca sammanti esa sanantano dhammo
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law. Ancient and inexhaustible law.
- The main idea of this verse is, Fight cannot come to an end with further fight. The fight can be stopped only by giving up anger, only by giving up enmity, only through acceptance and love.
- Love is like light and Hate is like darkness. Darkness cannot dispel darkness, only light can dispel darkness.
- Darkness has not existence of its own. It is just a state of No-Light. It is a state when the light is not present. Darkness simply means the absence of light.
- In the same way, Hate has not its own existence. Existence of hate depends on absence of love.
- Once the light comes closer to darkness, the darkness disappears. Once the love comes closer to hatred, the hatred disappears.
- You can give the other person the things which you already have. If you don’t have love inside your being then you cannot give love to another person. If you have hate inside your being then you can give only hatred to another person.
- From the past everybody is trying to dispel the hatred with hatred. But nobody has succeeded. Buddha has discovered a fresh approach to dispel hatred with non-hatred. And this approach is really effective.
- Every human is making his efforts in wrong direction. Every human is fighting with darkness. Every human is fighting with hatred. It is impossible to fight with hatred because it has no existence of its own. You just need to light of love in your being and the hatred will disappear automatically. Because hatred is absence of love.
- Now the question arises that how can a person light Love in his being? What is the method to do so? Method is very simple. Just be aware and conscious, and Love will born in you on its own accord.
10. These words are not only to be understood. You have to do practice on these words. Just be alert, just be conscious and then try to hate somebody. It will be impossible for you to hate somebody while you are aware. Try it once and you will know the true essence of this verse.
11. Love is a by product of awareness and hatred is just an absence of Love.
12. So only with love, only with awareness one can dispel hatred. Only with consciousness one can overcome hatred.
13. Buddha calls it eternal law, because this method of overcoming hatred through non-hatred is truly effective. There is not a single exception in this method so this is eternal and inexhaustible law.